31 Then he went down to Capernaum, a town in Galilee, and was teaching them on the Sabbath. 32 They were astonished at his teaching because his message had authority. 33 In the synagogue there was a man with an unclean demonic spirit who cried out with a loud voice, 34 “Leave us alone! What do you have to do with us, Jesus of Nazareth? Have you come to destroy us? I know who you are—the Holy One of God!”
35 But Jesus rebuked him and said, “Be silent and come out of him!” And throwing him down before them, the demon came out of him without hurting him at all.
36 Amazement came over them all, and they were saying to one another, “What is this message? For he commands the unclean spirits with authority and power, and they come out!” 37 And news about him began to go out to every place in the vicinity.
38 After he left the synagogue, he entered Simon’s house. Simon’s mother-in-law was suffering from a high fever, and they asked him about her. 39 So he stood over her and rebuked the fever, and it left her. She got up immediately and began to serve them.
40 When the sun was setting, all those who had anyone sick with various diseases brought them to him. As he laid his hands on each one of them, he healed them. 41 Also, demons were coming out of many, shouting and saying, “You are the Son of God!” But he rebuked them and would not allow them to speak, because they knew he was the Messiah.
42 When it was day, he went out and made his way to a deserted place. But the crowds were searching for him. They came to him and tried to keep him from leaving them. 43 But he said to them, “It is necessary for me to proclaim the good news about the kingdom of God to the other towns also, because I was sent for this purpose.” 44 And he was preaching in the synagogues of Judea.
Setting the Captives Free
"Jesus has authority over disease and demons."
Through 3 stories of our text, Jesus displays his authority by
- Jesus heals a demon-possessed man
- Jesus heals Simon's mother-in-law
- Jesus throws a teaching and healing party
Common themes in these stores are
- Jesus in control and demonstrating power
- Jesus prioritizing teaching and preaching
- Witnesses amazed at Jesus' authority
- Demons recognizing Jesus as the Holy One of God
- Understand our identity in Christ
- Children of God and holy ones in Christ
- Live as agents of hope in a broken world
- Responding to challenges with faith and hope
- Consider participating in Mercy Mondays and community groups to make a difference in the community